Few have heard of Tik Tok. This social network almost instantly blew up the Internet and made it possible for absolutely everyone to become popular in a very short time. Tiktok is a platform where any user can create their own channel, publish original content, collect hundreds, thousands and millions of subscribers.
The Tik Tok social network was invented in 2016 by BuyDance in China. There it quickly gained momentum and so they decided to enter the international market. Back then, the site was called “Douyin” (Chinese: 抖音, pinyin Dǒuyīn), and when they decided to go international, they thought they should come up with a name that would be easier to pronounce. This is how Tik Tok was born. In 2017, BuyDance acquired Musical.ly (a service for creating videos, live broadcasts and messaging) with the social network Musical.ly. We combined all this with Tik Tok into one project and now we have what we have.
Tik Tok Audience
TikTok now has 800 million monthly active users, making TikTok the seventh most visited social network in the world. More than 40 million users from all over the world visit TikTok every day. As of 2019, TikTok was downloaded 19.9 million times in Russia. During the existence of Tik Tok, the application has been downloaded more than 1.5 billion times.
Tik Tok Popularity
Let’s try to figure out why it became popular, why this site is gaining such great momentum, how it took off so quickly, what is unique. And is it worth it, in general, to register there for an ordinary person, a blogger or some private business.
Everyone who has ever visited TikTok has seen what is happening there – these are short videos to the music, where, in fact, informatively, absolutely nothing happens. At first glance, it seems that the site does not carry any useful information at all.
The question remains, why has it become so popular? Everything is very simple. Everything in this world is moving towards simplification. It all started when YouTube was invented. Yes, it was a platform where every ordinary viewer who watched TV all his life could become a creative blogger, create his own video in a simplified form, and, in fact, it happened “Mom, I’m on TV” – more successful, talented and persistent began to take off, gain popularity, and earn money.
Those who have been running YouTube channels for a long time know very well that in order to create a video, you also need to have certain skills. You need equipment, the ability to edit videos, understand directing, and so on. The audience among bloggers has become younger every year, it does not have time to delve into complex content, so we come to simplify. This led to the emergence of sites such as Vine video and Snapchat, which very successfully gobbled up Instagram with its stories and vines.
Tik Tok features
And now we have reached Tik Tok.
The creators of this service have provided everything! The platform has such wide functionality that even a child can make a video in 2 minutes, on which an old-school professional in editing video content in Adobe Premiere may need to spend several hours to assemble effects, add music and arrange the whole thing beautifully.
The set of functions and features, tools and interface are designed in such a way that any user, having downloaded the application to his phone at minimal cost, could produce as much as possible regarding watchable content.
At first, among experts in the field of content, one could often come across such an opinion regarding TikTok that there is solid trash and there is nothing useful – in other words, a platform for degradation.
But time goes on, everything changes, the same attitude at one time was to many social networks. For example, instagram – originally it was a social network where any user could post some of their travel photos, their thoughts, and so on. Now it is the most powerful engine for business. Especially here in the CIS. And this happens because everything changes. People are growing, the audience is growing. Now this social network is mostly for teenagers, but in some 5 years this audience will turn into solvent potential customers.
Business understands this and is already starting to actively take up empty places in the forefront, receiving millions of views on their videos in recommendations and future loyal customers.
How to download and install Tik Tok
You can download and install the application from official online application stores, depending on the operating system under which the mobile device is running.
- Go to the Google Play Market. If necessary, go through the authorization procedure in your Google account.
- In the search, enter the key query – tik tok (Tik Tok).
- Click on the first link in the search results.
- Press the “Install” button.
The process of downloading and installing the application will begin. As a rule, it lasts a few seconds with high-speed Internet, and it will take several minutes with mobile Internet.
Immediately after the application is installed on the phone, a window will open where you will be asked to set interests. Choose from the list of available options the preferred topics on which you would like to watch videos in the future. Or skip this step. That’s it, you can start watching short videos.
Similar actions need to be carried out in devices running iOS.
- Open the built-in AppStore application on your phone, where you also need to go through the authorization procedure with your Apple ID.
- Search for the TikTok app and install it.
Tik Tok on PC
Users who are more accustomed to working at a computer, in principle, do not need to install anything. It is enough to follow the link to desktop version of the platform, and here we can enjoy funny short videos.
However, the online version of TikTok in the browser is somewhat limited in terms of functionality. To use all the features of the social network on your computer, you can install Tik Tok in the emulator environment on a computer running Windows. A good emulator for this purpose is BlueStacks.
The principle of installing TikTok on a computer is quite simple:
- Go to the official website of the BlueStacks emulator and download the latest version of the installer.
- Install the emulator and log in with your Google account in the emulator environment.
- Open the Play Market and find TikTok in the search. And as in the case of the instructions for installing the application on an Android phone, we follow the same steps.
Now you have an absolutely exact copy of the TikTok mobile application on your computer, in which you can perform almost all the same actions as on your phone.
Tiktok, compared to other similar platforms, allows you to watch video content without creating an account. Find interesting videos and tiktokers in the search by hashtags or nicknames.
Without creating an account, the following features will not be available to you:
- you won’t be able to like posts you like;
- you won’t be able to leave a comment, although you can freely read other users’ comments in any video;
- You will not be able to publish your videos.
To remove all restrictions, it is recommended to create an account on TikTok.
You can register by email, Google account, Facebook, VKontakte and Twitter. In the first case, it means entering an email address and creating a password, in the rest, confirm authorization through an account of one of the social networks, and thus link the accounts.
A TikTok account provides the following features:
- first of all, this is the creation and publication of your own videos;
- Subscribe to channels you like;
- the ability to mark posts you like with a like – this activity signals to TikTok algorithms that you like this video, and in the future the platform will select a relevant video based on your interests;
- the ability to leave comments on those tiktokers where comments are open;
- setting up a personal profile and preventing other users from writing messages to you;
- blacklisting ill-wishers.
Naturally, this is not the whole list of Tik-Tok features. The platform has huge tools both for ordinary visitors who came to relax and have fun, and for running their own blog.
Creating and publishing the first Tik Tok video
Have you decided to become popular? Great, it’s time to record your first video and publish it to the public.
- Click the + button on the toolbar at the bottom of the screen.
- In the pop-up window that opens, you give permission to the application to record sound.
- Next, select the duration of the video, select the effects by tapping on the button in the lower left corner.
- In the toolbar at the top right, select the camera orientation, speed, filters, set the recording delay timer.
- Start recording.
- When finished recording, you can add music, stickers, text, effects.
- In the video editing mode, you can also use correction, voice effects and voice acting.
- You can see the result while editing the video.
- Click “Next” for publish settings.
- Describe your video, add hashtags, and tag your friends.
- Set video visibility settings for Tik Tok users.
- If necessary, disable comments, duets with your video, stitching, and permission to download videos to your device. These options are enabled by default.
- Publish your video, or send it as a draft for later editing.
- You can also immediately share the video on social networks by tapping on the corresponding icon at the bottom of the screen.
Tips and tricks
Video on TikTok is actually very easy and fast to shoot – in a matter of minutes you can record interesting material, process it and put it online, and within a few hours you will receive enthusiastic responses from visitors. To professionally promote yourself as a brand or an expert in a certain field, of course, it is worth working out a content plan, taking into account the interests of the target audience, experimenting and testing hypotheses.
Be sure to read the TikTok platform agreement rules to avoid mistakes that can cause your channel to get a shadowban or even be blocked. Our website already has articles with recommendations for promoting on Tik Tok, how to shoot interesting videos, duets, and more.
TikTok is an interesting platform for both entertainment and business. Banks, movie stars, artists, experts in various fields come here. Well-known, and not so far, bloggers, and just ordinary users who want to feel their finest hour.